Tuesday, September 17, 2013

"30 Days: Minimum Wage"

          Walking in another person's shoes has a whole new meaning for me. This show has surprised me yet appalled me. I never thought that working for minimum wage would just barely get a person by. It's hard to imagine that thousands, probably millions, of people do this their whole life. We take for granted being able to drive our cars and being able to buy a snack after school. Alex realized that he isn't able to just buy a snack whenever he was hungry. Morgan and Alex both had to go to the hospital and they could barely pay off their bill. The way that Alex said, walking into the emergency room cost him around $300.  I thought that was just shocking. I think the government needed to raise minimum wage a lot sooner than they did. This country is supposed to be about equality but the government is set up is to keep the poor, poor and the rich, rich. Granted, there are a lot of charities out there, but it's still not enough for every homeless or needy person in this country. I'm taking into account that this couple didn't even have kids. Everyone knows that having kids is very expensive but Morgan and Alex could barely provide for themselves, what would they have done if they had kids? It's a scary thought for sure.

3 comments:

  1. I agree!It is scary to think that Morgan and Alex tried this for 30 days and could barely get by, but millions of people do this their whole life. We definitely do take a lot of things for granted and I think that more people should be aware of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I was thinking about the fact that Morgan and Alex knew there was an end in sight for this lifestyle, but many people have to live this way their entire lives.

      Delete
  2. Wow i agree with you 100 percent! I really agree with the fact that many of us take for granted that getting a snack whenever we want or being able to drive our cars whenever we want also. I really agree that the government needs to higher the minimum wage a lot more so people live a happier life!

    ReplyDelete